Friday, July 17, 2009

Potato Soup!

Tonight, Robert and I were in the market for some delicious comfort food...and, for me, there is nothing more comforting than my mom's potato soup. I had never made it before, so I thought I should try. I also thought I could share the recipe with whomever reads the blog, so that you can try it yourself. :)

Potato Soup
Time: about an hour
Yields: 4-6 servings

Ingredients:
3 cups water
3 chicken Bouillon cubes
4 potatoes peeled and diced
1 large onion, diced
1/2 green pepper, diced
3 carrots sliced thin

Boil above until tender.


White Sauce:
1/3 cup margarine
1/3 cup flour
3 cups whole milk

Cook above over medium heat until thickened. Stir continuously. (As with all white sauces, the stirring is imperative.)

Add white sauce to potatoes and water.

Add 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese and stir until well blended.
Add a drop of Tobasco sauce. (I skipped this step intentionally in tonight's soup.)

Toppings:
Green onion, bacon pieces, cheddar cheese, oyster crackers

Basically, dress it as you might a baked potato.

This is incredibly delicious and you will likely desire several bowls of this amazing stuff. But...it will literally grow in your stomach. I would recommend eating a small bowl, sitting still for about ten minutes, and then going for seconds if you still feel hungry.

If you try it, let me know! :) And if you try it, I hope you enjoy it!

(Oh, and if you live near me, you should know that I am very likely to make you some delicious potato soup in the near future.)

1 comment:

Ashley said...

That looks delicious! Um...I don't live near you, buuuuut...you could come stay with me for a night and make it for me!