Monday, November 30, 2009

Learning to live without soy

My wonderful husband has a soy allergy. We don't know yet how serious it is, except that his allergist recommended that he avoid eating soy or soy derivatives of any kind. And it's true that after many meals, he'll feel not only full but unwell. Tonight he and I did our weekly grocery shopping, and we became immediately aware of how many of our favorites were cooked either in soy (or soy derivatives) or were cooked with instruments that came in contact with soy. (I'm just thrilled that type of information is available on packaging--I had never noticed it before.) We spent longer than we ever have at the store, reading labels, putting things back, and moving on. At first, the mood was lighthearted and simply awestruck. But as we continued to put more and more of our favorite foods back on the shelves, Robert became discouraged. And why shouldn't he? It really hit the hardest at the cookie section. Everything is baked with either margarine or vegetable oils (which uses soy protein), so the message he got in the cookie aisle was: You're Not Allowed.

I realize that we're both going to have to make this change together, and I'm ready. If I were the one with the food allergy, I would probably tell him to keep eating whatever he wanted (just like he told me), but I would secretly feel resentful and deprived. Not that I think he would feel that way toward me if I started munching on all the cookies I wanted, but I don't think it's fair to do that to him anyway. We found some ice creams that would work for him--one is dolce de leche (Breyer's), which is a caramel-based ice cream. It turns out that the chocolate chip-based ice creams have soybean derivatives in them. We also found that our regular spaghetti sauce has soy derivatives in it, but we found out that Bertolli doesn't. I think we'll manage to get by. I know we will. It's just a matter now of shopping smarter.

I'd like to learn some soy-free recipes so that he and I can eat similarly to how we used to without him feeling sick afterwards. So, for instance, I would like to find some cookie recipes that would be really yummy. He should be able to eat cookies and milk if he wants to. This is going to be my new project.

For tonight's dinner, I'm making baked chicken with Panko breading (dredged in olive oil instead of margarine) and marinated with Lea & Perrin's chicken marinade (garlic and herb--turns out all other dressings are soy-based). I chose Panko because the Progresso Italian bread crumbs that I had originally planned on has soybean oil in it. Panko bread crumbs have less than 2% (if even any) of soy in it, so we're going to try it. I seasoned the breading with cracked black pepper and savory because it just smelled so darn good. On the side, we're having Mahatma yellow rice with olive oil instead of margarine. (Extra virgin olive oil, of course, hehe.) It smells really good. I hope it tastes really good, too.

Well, that's the timer. Fingers crossed! :)

7 comments:

Ashley said...

what grocery stores do you guys have around there? Because I know at my Kroger and Publix they have a pretty extensive natural and organic food area with tons of "normal" things that are made without soy or wheat or whatever random allergy one may have. You might have already looked in that section, but I thought I'd mention it...

Good luck with it! I think it's great that you are doing it with him.

A. Hab. said...

That's a good idea, Ash. We've been shopping at Winn-Dixie, and ours has a horrible selection. But there's a newer Kroger that opened ten miles down the road, so I'll go check them out. We haven't got a Publix yet, although there's been a sign at one of the corners of a busy intersection that says "Future Site of Publix"...since March or so, lol. So who knows when/if they'll start building that. ;) But I will definitely give Kroger a look. I've walked past their natural section before, and it looks pretty extensive. Thanks for the tip! :)

Preben and Ellen said...

this is sad, but i think you'll find lots of fun cooking and discovering and then also feel better about what you're eating. you're such a sweet wife :)

A. Hab. said...

Thanks Ellen. :) I've decided to stay focused on the positive aspect of this. It means that we'll be eating a lot less processed foods that are bad for us, and we'll be making a lot more of our foods at home instead. Dinner last night really turned out to be delicious. Before Robert and I were married, I was not at all adventurous in the kitchen--if I didn't have a recipe for it, I didn't want to mess with it. But last night, I knew I wanted to marinate chicken in that Lea & Perrin's stuff, and then I just dug around the cabinets for soy-free breading and seasonings. It wasn't as hard or scary as I thought it would be, and it was filling! :)

I'm sure that as I become more comfortable in the kitchen and get to know soy-free foods better, I'll have even better ideas for meals. :) Thanks for the encouragement!

Jack said...

" Everything is baked with either margarine or vegetable oils (which uses soy protein), so the message he got in the cookie aisle was: You're Not Allowed."

You can bake homemade cookies with real butter. It's healthier for you than margarine, AND the cookies come out more moist.

As far as the spaghetti sauces, etc. it's sometimes less expensive to make them from scratch - can of tomato paste, can of tomato sauce, basil, oregano, garlic, etc. :)

Don't forget you can make your own breadcrumbs, too. That's what we do - toast or not toast bread, and run them through a mini-chopped or mini-food processor.

The Mahatma rices are good, and I always cook them with olive oil :)

You'll be amazed at the things you can make on your own, save money, and not have to worry about soy issues :)

A. Hab. said...

Thanks, Jack. Yeah, the reason the cookies are all baked with soy is mostly because of the margarine issue, but also traditional (i.e., processed) chocolate chips use a soy-based emulsifier.

I'm going to the organic grocery today to see if they have soy-free chocolate chips. I'm planning on trying to make him some delicious chocolate chip cookies sometime in the near future. (Although, it better be fast, frankly, because he won't be eating them after surgery, lol.)

After I posted this entry, I conducted a great deal more research, and I'm actually feeling pretty excited about this new adventure. I think it'll set us for an interesting and different course than we otherwise would have taken. I mean, eliminating a majority of processed foods from one's diet can't possibly be a bad thing, right? :)

Lauren said...

Hey Amanda,

To me it looks like the natural foods and foods made from scratch is the way to go. Btw, the Martha Stewart cookbooks and websites are pretty much all from-scratch recipes... of course, most chefs are like that I think =) I mention Martha because her recipes are delicious. But I'm sure there's lots of other cooks you can check out. Pretty much any cookbook that shows you how to cook from scratch is good to go, because you can control every single ingredient.

Cooking from scratch is a big transition when you're so busy. To make things easier on yourself, maybe try "one-pot" recipes and store the leftovers. Or cook a bunch of snacks or meals on Sunday; freeze some and store some for ready access. Doing things that way is also supposed to save money, from what I've heard.

I have to vouch for the (Tiger Town) Kroger natural selection! It's really good and they have (relatively) affordable things there. It's more expensive for some items, while others are very comparable in price to regular groceries. If there's anything more on the rare side you want to find, you can always check out DaySpring. And you could even try the GMC or Peachtree Natural Foods. I know some places make allergy-friendly brownie, cake, and pancake mixes for example (gluten-free, but they might make soy-free too).

I'm glad you've been finding soy-free stuff in the store. It's just a matter of grabbing one thing rather than the other, so that's good. I think the biggest challenge will be when you do go out to eat every once in a while.

It'll be really healthy going natural =)